Common Questions for Minnesota Divorce Lawyers

Common Questions for Minnesota Divorce Lawyers - Willow Anderson Law

Divorces are already emotionally challenging without taking into account how legally complicated they can sometimes become. When spouses don’t see eye to eye on issues like asset distribution, child custody, and spousal maintenance, what started as an unpleasant yet necessary experience can quickly become overwhelming.

If you’re anticipating a high conflict divorce in Minnesota, you surely have questions about what to expect. You’re not alone; divorce lawyers address concerns just like yours every day. This article answers some of the most common questions Minnesota divorce attorneys hear, especially from clients who are concerned about experiencing a high conflict divorce.

Can I get divorced without my spouse’s cooperation?

Yes, you can file for divorce without your spouse being on board. Divorces don’t need to be mutual, but your spouse does need to be properly notified of your decision to file for divorce. He or she will be given an opportunity to officially respond to your divorce petition, but there’s nothing your spouse can do to prevent the divorce from moving forward.

How can I make my high conflict divorce less stressful?

When you don’t get along with your spouse, it can complicate the divorce process. First, find a divorce lawyer in Edina who knows how to handle a high conflict divorce. A knowledgeable lawyer is always prepared to see your case through, whether it eventually ends in mediation or in court. Your lawyer will help you determine whether it would be worthwhile to attempt to negotiate with your ex, or if your time would be better spent preparing for a court hearing. She can also help you compile documents and file paperwork with the court, which you may have to do more often if you’re engaging in a “back and forth” with a high-conflict spouse.

What’s the next step if my spouse isn’t willing to negotiate?

Experienced Minnesota divorce lawyers are used to dealing with uncooperative spouses. If your spouse refuses to negotiate the division of your property, child custody, or spousal maintenance payments, your attorney will prepare you for an in-court divorce. This consists of compiling documents, notifying witnesses, and understanding how the hearing will transpire.

What’s the most effective approach to divorce?

That depends on the circumstances of your divorce, including the level of cooperation you have with your spouse and your financial situation. You may be able to get together with your spouse and create your own divorce agreement addressing the division of your assets, child custody, and more. This will need to be approved by a judge before your divorce is finalized.

If cooperation simply isn’t an option, you may need an in-court divorce. This approach may be more expensive, but it has its benefits. For example, if your spouse tends to be controlling or dominates discussions, you won’t have to deal with their tactics in mediation. Instead, a judge will look over the factual evidence you both present and make an equitable ruling.

How should I get started if I want to file for divorce?

Contact Willow Anderson’s divorce and family law firm in Edina. Willow has been representing clients in Minnesota for decades. She is dedicated to attentive listening, straight-forward communication, and thoughtful advocacy on your behalf. You can reach the Willow Anderson Law team by calling (612) 843-2355.

Related Posts